Friday, 3 January 2014

They keep coming and we keep buying

Later this month there will be another major Beatles release -that is the box set which contains all of the Beatles Capitol albums and goes under the title of The US Albums. Now I already have all of the tracks on these albums and own the full set of the superior UK albums - the 2009 remasters are still on heavy rotation in Granny's Rock Shack. But I've still pre-order this set which at £150 is not exactly cheap.

A main plot is that the albums are both in mono and stereo - each CD has the album twice, once in stereo and then in mono, so that's a big selling point. Also I've never heard the Beatle US albums which are significantly different to the UK versions. For one thing I believe Help starts with the James Bond theme snippet as used in the movie. And of course there is the sleeve artwork and the handsome looking box with the picture of the Beatles sat before the stars and striped.

God bless America, surely the fabbiest of the fabbiest!


Yes this Beatlemania is an illness. I was born too late for the Beatles. I was only five years old when I the band split in a torrent of squabbles. And I didn't really start to get into the band until 1980 when I, as a fifteen year old stumbled on the album A Hard Day's night and from there on in my life changed. I started to search the record stores for the other albums and maybe over a period of two years I managed to get the full set, that's the UK albums of course. I'd heard of the US albums but were always led to believe they were inferior - after all the Beatles infamous Butcher album cover was said to be a dig at Capitol who the fabs felt were butchering their albums.

Of course these days the US albums have been deleted and the Yanks now have identical Beatle albums to the original UK versions. So the reissued, remastered Capitol set is enticing to Beatle nuts like myself.

Ahh well - it's the Beatles and they're still fab even after all these years.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment